- Only online applications will be considered.
- It is not necessary to send a transcript of graduate courses or grades.
- Applicants who have previously applied for the Society of Fellows’ postdoctoral fellowships may re-apply but must complete a new application.
- The dates for completion of the Ph.D. degree, between June 1, 2017 and September 1, 2020, are strictly observed, with no exceptions.
Notification of Applicants
- Applicants will receive a confirming email message once the application is complete.
- Please provide both surface mail and electronic addresses so that we can reach you easily. Advise us by e-mail if either address changes.
- Final review will occur at the end of January 2020, and applicants will be notified in writing by March 1.
- All dossier materials and the selection committee’s evaluations remain confidential. The committee is not able to provide feedback on individual applications.
The Society invites applications from qualified candidates who are at the beginning of their academic careers, having received the Ph.D. or comparable professional or artistic degree between June 1, 2017 and September 1, 2020. Applications from degree candidates and recipients of the Ph.D. from the University of Michigan will not be considered. Non-US citizens may apply.
The application deadline is Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 1:00 PM EDT
Dossier items to be completed by the referee:
- Confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically to the Society by two referees.
- Dossier items to be completed by the candidate:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing sample – not to exceed 40, double-spaced pages
- Research proposal – not to exceed 3, double-spaced pages
- $35 Application fee
Details of Dossier Items
- Confidential letters of reference from no more than two referees should be submitted in PDF format as instructed by the applicant.
- Letterhead is preferred
- Letter should be addressed to: Professor Donald Lopez
The application form will be available August 1.
For the department(s) entry please designate the academic department(s) you would expect to be affiliated with at the University of Michigan. This is usually the department of your Ph.D. and the department(s) in which you are qualified to teach.
The research proposal should outline the methods and aims of research beyond your thesis or other work resulting in your last degree. Please keep in mind that your project proposal will be read by non-specialists, as well as by specialists in your field. Proposals that involve more than on discipline and/or demonstrate interdisciplinary approaches are especially welcome.